The day has come. Our 15 year old daughter has asked us if she can go out on a date with a boy. I was cool...kind of. I asked all the right questions, "What's his name?", "How old is he?", "What movie will you be seeing?", "What time is the movie and what time will you be home?"...She will be a Junior in 3 months. She will be driving soon, she will be looking at colleges, she will be responsible for all of her actions and decisions...but for now, I am in control and I find it hard to say yes. Will my friends judge me if I let her go? Will my mom question my decision? I know we've done a great job raising her, but still, she is only 15! (16 in 2 months!)
Dad's not doing too well either. He poured a cocktail as we were discussing the issue. As I giggled at the uncomfortableness, Dad got a little red. There was a bit of fist clenching and grunting behind the scenes going on as well. Dad demanded the who, what, where and when. I have to say that I was impressed with how he handled it all...only a few references to cement shoes and deep holes to be dug.
We told Ian (our 11 year old) that if we say yes he can be in his rarest form...he's great at freaking out guests! The boy will have to meet the family, of course. We will need a detailed plan of the evening.
So as we are left with the decision to let our baby girl go on her first official date, we can't help but feel how out of control we are...and/or will be.
No comments:
Post a Comment