Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dear Dad,

Dear Dad,
Remember when you were carving the turkey on Thanksgiving and the turkey was full of air and you got really, really mad? I'll never forget it. I think I was 7.

Remember when you woke me up in the middle of the night to have me try out the "Merri Mobile"? We waited forever for that motor to come in the mail...It was so great that I could get around the house without being carried. Maybe I was in 2nd grade?

Remember when we drove to Myrtle Beach and half way through the trip the engine of your truck caught on fire and you had to jump into the hood of the truck to blow out the flames? You cracked some ribs, right? and we carried on and you gave your family the best vacation ever. I was 13 and met the boy of my dreams...you didn't know that part.

Remember when you lectured me for 3 hours about drinking under the bleachers at school? The principal caught us with a Molson Light in my backpack and called you. I was in 9th grade.

Remember when I graduated college and you shared the cookie secret? I'll never tell the secret of how you don't get crumbs on your shirt until my kids graduate college.

Remember when I told you I was getting married to a boy after only knowing him for a few months? Remember when you tried to hold me back at the top of the hill as we were supposed to start walking down the isle?

Remember holding Mackenzie for the first time, Grandpa? Then Ian? I do. I will always have those images in my mind...and so many more.

You Dad have been my rock. You give me the best advice as I try to be the parent to my children as you were to me. You bring a calming sense of reality as I deal with all of the issues and concerns that come with raising kids. I hope you know how much you influence each and every day of my life.

I love you Dad. Happy Fathers Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment