This morning I had this day scripted in my mind...so much, that I put it in writing. But, I didn't post it and now as I review what I put in words at the beginning of the day, I will do my best to compare my earlier thoughts with reality...enjoy!
8:30 a.m.: As I sit in a quiet house, sipping coffee, contemplating my list of "to do's", I can only imagine the stories he will have forever that begin with, "One time at music camp..." -
Reality at 7:21 p.m.: I am now sipping a glass of wine, most of my "to do's" completed, and I still can't wait to hear the stories that I know he'll have.
8:40 a.m.: Today we bring our son to a 2 week, overnight, pre-college experience, music academy camp at the College of St. Rose. It's going to be a great experience for him, I know.
Reality: I'm more sure of this than ever! We saw familiar faces, made his bed, unpacked his clothes, sent him on his way to watch the end of the World Cup (GO DEUTSCHLAND) and have some pizza with the kids he'll be spending the next 2 weeks with. I hope Nicholas G. is a great roommate. (we didn't' meet him but saw his name on the dorm door with Ian's.) We're assuming he's part of the basketball camp based on the sneakers we saw under his dorm bed. Good luck Nicholas G. You have a hell of a roommate.
8:42 a.m.: For me it will mean a few more grays (thank God for my upcoming hair appointment) and some deeper wrinkles.
Reality: Pretty sure a few more grays popped up already, I've been checking and comparing!
8:45 a.m.: You see, not only do I get to worry about the normal neurotic mom stuff, (him making friends, fitting in, feeling confident) I get to worry about broken bones. For every trait I had to pass along, this is one that I wish I could control...but I cant. Blonde hair, blue eyes, brittle bones...it is what it is.
Believe me, this isn't a pity party, this is a right of passage...a time to relinquish a little control and get a sneak peak of what the future feels like. We never forget that in the grand scheme of things, we have it really, really good. I know there are many (too many) families that face so much worse and we consider ourselves lucky. More than lucky, we, as a family, are blessed.
Reality: See above.
8:50 a.m.: Never the less, he'll role his eyes at me when I remind him to be careful on the stairs, (Really, mom?)
Reality: He hugged me and said, "you too!", I choked up.
8:51 a.m.: I'll ask him to remember his limits when he participates in "outdoor activities" (as stated on his schedule). He'll shake his head at me and probably be a little pissed when I remind him to tell a camp counselor if he feels uncomfortable participating in a specific activity, (they wont have potato sack races at music camp, will they? Oh, geeze, another gray!)
Reality: He assured me he would be careful, not in a snotty teenage way, but a mature, "I get it, mom" kind of way...it seemed like he knew I needed him to assure me....Although, he was a bit pissed about the opera performance that he'll be doing on Thursday, the party scene from Die Fledermaus...I read him an email from his vocal coach about what to expect as we drove to camp and he wasn't expecting to be in an opera scene...we'll see how this one plays out :).
And now: Hubby and I sit home, alone, (our daughter will be home at some point tonight so we wont be walking around naked, a common joke/threat we've been using) watching America's Funniest Home Videos and now Wipeout. (I know, right?) We had a nice dinner at a local pub, we have a list started on what we need to drop off to our son (a razor, phone charger, hacky sack) and we're planning some fun things to do over the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned for our continued ventures!
No comments:
Post a Comment