Saturday, July 26, 2014

I wish I knew you better...

Tonight is my 25th high-school reunion. Obviously, I'm not there.  I graduated with almost 700 kids so needless to say it was a pretty big class .  5 years ago I went to my 20th and it was nothing but fun.  I found myself in a couple (or more) of awkward side-ways glances (not the evil high-school look but the "I know you from somewhere" look).  I remember some great conversations.  When I revisited the Facebook event page weeks later, my husband (who did not graduate from my school) was in more pictures than me...not surprisingly. It was fun, but not the incredible reunion I only imagine some had. As much fun as I (we) had, I couldn't wait to go home to my family that night.

I guess it's the experience that dictates why some people want so hard to hold on to high-school and cant wait to go back (them) and why some want nothing more than to just move forward (me). 

I remember growing apart from my best friend from elementary school (things get so complicated when you are 11!) and then meeting my next best friend in middle school. I can't explain why we also grew apart. As awkward as it would be, (and I'm only guessing) I'm pretty sure I could call both of them and they would be there for me in a second if I needed them. Sometimes you have to put family first and only your best friends understand.

Looking back I know why I didn't have a close knit group of friends in high school...I met a boy from another school district when I was in 11th grade and he became my world, my high-school sweet heart (young love is so stupid.)  Instead of parties with my friends, I went to his house.  In lieu of partying at the river, or the pit, or just hanging out with friends, I was pre-occupied with him. I did have the pleasure of not having to worry about cliques, and didn't feel bad when I wasn't invited to  parties...I could care less....or could I?  Definitely no regrets, but a few, what ifs...

My life started when I met my husband, 2 years after the class of 1989 graduated.  Like most, I could fill up a library with stories of my last 25 years.  Most of my stories consist of how much I have learned from having a family.  My children, almost grown now, (20 and 16) have been the center of my life. I feel so far ahead of many in my class, and so lucky.

So tonight, as my husband of 23 years (no, he wasn't my high school sweet heart, I traded that guy in for so much better) and I start to plan the second phase of our life, (downsizing if you can believe it!) I think about the class of 1989 who are celebrating 25 years...have fun guys, I wish I knew some of you better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment