We all know what happened 9/11/01. What a day, I'm sure you remember where you were, I won't bore you with the details of where I was. I will tell you that I was away from my family in southern NY in a training class. For me (and most), the world stopped. I thought about family. I thought about friends. I thought about how I would get home, I was 2 hours south of my family and about an hour north of what is now known as 'ground zero'. I remember trying to call my husband for about 3 hours, cell service was limited because of the volume...when he finally received my call he casually mentioned that he had heard something had happened, he was in the middle of an assignment in central NY. He assured me he would be home to be there for our children, I still had a day of training to go...they suspended training, and we all went to our hotel and watched the news for the rest of the day...and then they sent us home. I have never been so happy to be home.
Harry and I were trying to piece the day together for our son tonight. Ian was 3, he doesn't remember the day, but he will always remember what it means to us, we wont let him forget it. I've tried to turn this day into a day of heroism and gratitude. I believe our country changed for a little while. I believe we changed for the better. Albeit we got angry, but we also got united. I have never felt more of a sense of country than I did the weeks after 9/11/01. We wore t-shirts, we wore pins. We had a untied mission. I was (and am) proud to be an American.
Sometimes things can't be explained or justified. I'm still confused. I think the only thing that I can try to do 13 years later is find a lesson in the day that makes absolutely no sense. I told our son tonight, thousands of people went to work and school 13 years ago and had their life changed. There are so many takeaways, but what I take away is:
1. Appreciate those around you. Never take for granted your friends and family. Hug them tight.
2. Follow your dreams. Do it now, do it now, do it now. Life truly is short.
3. Laugh. Have fun. Giggle.
4. Respect all. We all have our challenges. Think about yours before you judge others.
So on that note, I'm heading off to remember my treasured loved ones and giggle a little. Cheers, Big Ears.
No comments:
Post a Comment