I'm a little frustrated with my Golden Retriever...in order to ensure he comes when I call, I have a nice little treat for him (usually a piece of hamburger, hot dog or left over pork or chicken). He is only a year and a half and when I have him out on our front yard and another dog walks by, I need to be assured that he will come when he is called.
Tonight he definitely came when called, but disturbingly did not bring his tennis ball. I threw the ball with all my might, he ran after it and then 1/2 way back to me he would drop it and just continue running towards me for his reward. No matter how many times I brought him back to the ball I had thrown, shoved it in his mouth (ever so gently) and waltzed him back to my front porch, he still didn't seem to get it. He just wanted that reward.
I can't help but to think (and relate to the fact) that I (we) are just like my dog...forget smelling the roses, forget savoring all that is out there for us to taste, I (we) just want that reward.
This weekend, my extended weekend, it is my mission to absorb all that is out there for me to take in. Every sun ray (please, God), every firework spark, every fat filled burger, all the work my husband will be doing on our kitchen, all my friends and family. I will appreciate every second I have with all of you.
I don't know when we all start to realize that it's not really about the prize, it's the journey that we take to get to the end, win or lose. I think God is on a mission to help me to see that. I guess I have some lessons to teach my Golden...
No comments:
Post a Comment